Thursday 9 January 2014

Character Designs


 
Thief designs. I experimented a little, but deep down I knew that I wanted him to look as I had imagined him in the beginning. From that point, most of my experimentaion was in the art styles.

 
 I experimented a little more when searching for alternate designs for the sorcerer, seeing if might work better as a sorceress, an old mystic, a viking, or even a deranged clown. But again, after the initial sketches and script, none of these really felt appropriate. I decided he looked too washed out compared to the thief, so I used the hue and saturation sliders in photoshop to find a colour scheme I preffered.

 
I wanted my skeletons to appear more in keeping with the aesthetic I had esablished with my thief and sorcerer, so I settled on a design with thick wrists and ankles, to mimic the shape of the sorcerer's sleeves.
 
 
The shapeshifters were inspired by a bizzare creature dreamed up by H.P. Lovecraft, the shoggoth. I had many ideas for how to portray their default appearance; square, like the murals they are pretending to be; amorphous with multiple arms and eyes, as shoggoths are often depicted, or just outright birrare, inspired by the eponymous creatures from the board game The Awful Green Things From Outer Space.

No comments:

Post a Comment